Friday, December 15, 2006

2,007 reasons to stay indoors

This might be a bit early, but I can't contain myself - 2007 is going to be an enormously awesome year for games. This year will ultimately be remembered for it's multiple system launches, but outside of Okami and Oblivion there weren't really any games that had any sort of profound impact on me. That's fine though, I don't need to be wowed by every title, and I still enjoyed a wide variety of random other games (which I'm sure I'll recognize in a few weeks in a year-end list of sorts). So what am I psyched for next year? Let's start with the original games, then we'll run through the exciting sequels in a day or two.

10. Shadowrun

Yeah, yeah, it's technically not a new IP. But really, an arena-based FPS as a sequel to an RPG from three hardware generations ago? It's a new game, let's just face facts. And I'm weirdly looking forward to it. The art design is beyond horrendous, but the unique movement mechanics (gliding, teleporting) and magic look like they could end up turning into worthwhile innovations. That, and the first proper party system we've seen since Halo 2. That alone is worth a spot on any list.

9. Skate

Tony Hawk peaked five games ago, and thus the exciting sport of skateboarding did a nice big faceplant in the digital realm. Activision don't seem to have any interest in changing the one-a-year, no innovation formula, so the reigns fall to EA (strangely enough). Every movement in Skate is dictated by the physics of your rider, the surface and the specifics of the board, so no two tricks are alike; that, combined with this bizarre new concept they've developed called "gravity", and we might finally be in for some welcome competition.

8. Kane & Lynch: Dead Men

Honestly, I'm just hoping this is the spiritual successor to Freedom Fighters, one of my favorite games ever (and grossly ignored by the gaming populace) since it's developed by IO too. It has co-op, seemingly simplistic squad controls (one of the things that made FF so great), and environments that seem realistic in all the right ways (destructible bits, interactive crowds). It will probably end up being more like Hitman (IO's successful franchise), and I'll probably bitch, but at of this moment I'm still psyched for the possibility.

7. The Darkness

I don't know crap about the comic, but the game looked fantastic at E3. Devious darkling creatures do you sick bidding, your weird mouthy body/trenchcoat tentacles can throw around cars and impale the unfortunate, you can watch old movies on in-game TVs, and Henry Rollins voices the main character. Should be a really fun, beautiful FPS at the least.

6. Alan Wake

The hype has worked wonders on me. They've dribbled out bits and pieces and screenshots of the game over the last few years, and though I still don't know what the hell it is, I'm too intrigued not to be excited. Looks a bit like Silent Hill in the daytime, with stunningly photo-realistic seaside vistas. The plot reminds me of Swimming Pool, though I can't imagine it will have as much high-quality nudity. Wait, what? Oh, right, yes, Alan Wake looks badass.

5. Army of Two

If this game is nothing but homosexual innuendo (like has been suggested dozens of times), I'm as gay as a three dollar bill. It was probably the best-looking game as E3 outside of GoW and Bioshock, and the fact that it's built entirely around co-op is HUGELY attractive. This is one of those checks in the "Things EA are doing that are not complete atrocities" column, and though it's still guns and military and exploitation, it's also one of the more innovative concepts around at it's core.

4. Crackdown

As of May, the game was more fun to watch someone else play who knew what they were doing than to play it yourself. I still have very high hopes though. It's GTA with superpowers and a very distinct vertical element to the game and level design. Three reasons that make any game great that will make Crackdown great:
a) RPG elements - The more you do things, the better you get at them. Hello Oblivion.
b) Co-Op - Online, through the entire campaign. With co-op achievements.
c) Throwing trucks - Throwing trucks.
If the framerate and the controls come together by release, I'll be a terribly happy beaver.

3. Mass Effect

Have you SEEN this game recently? Take a look. I'm still not entirely sold on the more action-oriented battles yet (I played KoTOR entirely turn-based and love it), but the cinematic conversation dynamic and character development both look tits. I still say this won't be out until the fall, but maybe I just can't handle the excitement of a still supposed Spring release. Yowza.

2. Assassin's Creed

I remember being excited for Project Assassin, just based on the tech behind it that they explained a few years ago. Well, the game became real, and after finally seeing gameplay I was stunned. It's Prince of Persia evolved, which is already pretty damned evolved over most other action/adventure games. Some idiot TV star recently let the overall plot secret slip, but it only makes me more excited for the final product. The game certainly seems innovative, but not just for the sake of it - there's a lot of truly progressive game design behind it, and I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

1. Bioshock

They can release all the awesome trailers they want - I can't possibly look forward to the game any more than I am. It was far and away the best at E3 this year, and every moment of the playthrough we witnessed is still ingrained on my retinas. It's atmospheric beyond description, sublimely gorgeous, in a post-apocalyptic, Atlantean sort of way, and enough gameplay promise and potential to make EVERY other FPS next year seem boring by comparison. It's one of the most fully-realized game worlds I have ever seen, and I want nothing more than to explore it's every nook and cranny.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]