Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Lunch with Tom - The quest for an elusive Doenut

I spent an hour last night trying to lure a Doenut into my garden. My garden was already teeming with life, but a Doenut would stop by every day and taunt me with its majestic presence. I loved my Raisants - Peanut and Butter gave birth to a happy and healthy little ant named Jelly - but they paled in comparison to this incredible beast. The Doenut would arrive outside my garden every day in the afternoon. Every day, for four or five in-game hours, it would roam around the perimeter of my land. It would look in every so often but never step foot inside. This was simply maddening. I wanted a Doenut of my own. I had a name picked out and everything. I was willing to make some sacrifices.

I went into my encyclopedia to see how I could attract a Doenut. It seemed pretty easy actually. I needed a least 10 Blackberries and a decent sized plot of Long Grass. Well, I already had five Blackberry bushes growing near my Sparrowmint's home. You could say I was inundated with Blackberries at this point. I was force-feeding them to Whirlms just to clear my garden floor. The Long Grass was a little bit tricky, though. First of all, it cost almost 1500 Chocolate Coins. I was stuck somewhere in the triple digits. I would need to make some money as quickly as possible. And so went some of my favorite animals.

I surveyed the land seeing who I could sell. My Bunnycombs were far too cute to sacrifice and I had grown quite attached to my Raisants. But those Syrupents always seemed like they were up to no good. They had already eaten a family of Lickatoads, what would they do to my pure, sweet Doenut? They had to go. It took me awhile to hunt them down. Apparently, they had been breeding without my consent. My family of three had doubled in size. The Syrupents had taken over my garden without my knowledge. I finally wrangled them all up and sold them to a black market Pinata dealer. I didn't know what their fate was going to be but I couldn't worry about it. I had a Doenut to catch.

I had enough money to buy some Long Grass finally. I cleaned up the north side of my garden, a section roughly one third of my entire land. The north side is separated from the south by a winding river right in the middle of my land. I cleared the land, selling some Taffies along with their house, so I could plant enough Long Grass to attract that blasted Doenut. It was hard work, took me almost twenty minutes to get my garden looking Doenut-worthy, but it was worth the effort. During the late afternoon the next day a Doenut finally stepped into my garden. Believe me, it was a tense moment. He strolled around the place, investigating what sorts of animals were currently living there while checking out my plentiful foliage. He admired my Apple tree for a while, probably noting how it casts a comforting shadow upon the Long Grass during the hot days.

Finally, he happened upon the Blackberry bushes. And what a sight! He hopped around in unbridled enthusiasm and then let out a magnificent bellow. Doenuts sure love their Blackberries. He quickly ate two and then, to my horror, walked away from the bush. What is he doing? He needs to eat six of those things before he'll stay! So I picked up a Blackberry and started to follow. He walked to the river and took a drink. Maybe he just needed something to wash down the Blackberry juice. Doenuts do have long necks. I should have put a glass of milk next to the bushes. How inconsiderate of me. I dropped the Blackberry I was holding right at his feet. He looked around, shocked that such good fortune should come to such a humble beast, and scarfed it up. He was halfway to being my most beloved pet.

And then he left.

He walked right out of my garden, belly brimming with my Blackberries, and disappeared in the surrounding foliage. Oh my, you cannot believe how upset I was. I had spent all that time razing buildings and selling my young to make him happy, and then he just eats his fill and leaves? This Doenut had some nerve.

If he didn't want to stay at my garden I wasn't going to beg. I went back to tending my own Pinatas. One of my Bunnycombs had become sick during the visit. A Crowla probably attacked him while I was trying to shove Blackberries down that ungrateful Doenut's throat. What a bad owner I was. I called Doctor Patchington over to fix up my poor pet and went around making sure everyone else was happy. I felt guilty after ignoring my Pinatas all day so I bought every one of them some Happy Candy from the Costalots. I spent the rest of the day trying to lure Buzzlegums into the garden so I could get my Lickatoads to do the Romance Dance.

The next day, while I was trying to get my Raisants to mate so I could get an Arocknid into my garden, a message popped up on the bottom of the screen. A Doenut had become a resident of Gigglepoo's Garden. My garden! I ran over to find the Doenut. He finally shed his black and white fur. He was pink and blue and awesome. I named him Camus.

An hour later, after growing Sunflowers and Tulips, as well as building a beautiful Doenut house in the shade of the Apple tree, I had five Doenuts running around my tiny garden. Now I'm wondering if I can attract a Lion Pinata. Something has to eat Doenuts, right?

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]