Monday, November 06, 2006

Lunch with Tom - Fantasic new releases

Gears of War - God I hope this game turns out to be good. It has to be good, right? It's not only the biggest X360 title coming out this year, it's pretty much the only one. It's the only one that's relevant to X360 owners at least. It has guns and co-op, so it should be at least fun. But I've had so many issues with every other X360 game in the last year that I just can't imagine GoW will live up to the hype. But I'm holding out hope. The co-op sounds too good to be true, with the ability to drop in and out of games whenever you want, but what if it has connection issues like every other X360 title? The team-based multiplayer sounds like a blast, but it's limited to 8-player. Will it offer the variety and sheer enjoyment that Halo 2 did? Gears does have chainsaws and curb-stomping. It looks great. But I'm just praying for a quality title at this point.

Guitar Hero 2 - Now this game will definitely be good. How could it not be? The first Guitar Hero had certain issues, but the gameplay was flawless. I would play until my hands cramped up and then eek one more song out of them. I expect the sequel will be just as amazing. This time we have co-op play and new instruments (bass!) and even a practice mode. And did you check out the set list? It has Institutionalized! Now there's a blast from my past.

"All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, but she wouldn't give it to me."

As poignant today as it was when it was written. And, since GHII has adjustable difficulty when two people jam together, I can finally play with Nick. I can't think of any reason why this game will not rock.

Elite Beat Agents - Early word is that this is even better than Ouendan. Since Ouendan is already one of the best NDS games, I can only assume EBA will be the very best game on the system. That seems like a fair weight to place on this game, right? Playing a miniaturized, plastic rendition of a real instrument is great fun, but there is something special about these funky fresh rhythm games. Can you really turn away from a game that lets you help a puppy find his way home with some inspirational dancing? I would hope not. Should I raise a warning flag? Something that might hold this game back from greatness? Well, it has a questionable set list. I'm sure you've read Nick's rant about how they ruined the game by including Ashlee Simpson. I haven't played it yet but I can say this - no rhythm game is built on a set list alone. If the play mechanics are fun and the game is engaging, it will not matter if you are rocking to Hoobastank or Pearl Jam.

Viva Pinata - I still have no idea what to expect from this game. I'm not even sure it's coming out this week. But it seems like it is coming out a few days after Gears of War and it seems like it should be really fun. But I'm just not sure. Will it be engaging enough to make me want to visit my garden every day? Will the gameplay be deep enough to keep me playing after I've grown tired of the pretty graphics? Will Rare rape us with microtransactions? I don't know the answer to any of these, but I am still optimistic. PDZ was fun and Kameo was really good. Rare never "lost it," as detractors will have you believe, but Star Fox Adventures and Grabbed by the Ghoulies were lacking the Rare magic. I think they have it back now. But, if you are apprehensive, I'll be the guinea pig with this game. When I give word, though, you must run to your nearest store, credit card in hand, and buy it. And an X360 if you are currently lacking. I know current X360 owners sure as heck don't care about raising Pinatas.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]