Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Lunch with Tom - Stupid Tom made a Stupid Mistake

And there goes my chance of having a PS3 this year. Late last night (9 0'Clock is late for me now) I found out that EBGames would be accepting preorders for the PS3 this morning. Extremely limited numbers. Any store located near living humans would sell out of preorder spots less than an hour after opening their doors. It's like when U2 comes to town. If you aren't camping out, you are not getting a ticket. And here I am, working a job I don't care about, one with flexible hours so I can show up late if I just give them a heads up, and I didn't preorder. I actually thought I would be able to call them when their doors opened and get a spot on the list. What was I thinking?

Needless to say, I ended up calling the store at 9:36, 24 minutes before they opened their door, and was greeted by someone who was in a hurry. He said there was already a huge line outside of the door and that no new people would be allowed to preorder. Wow, I said, and then hung up meekly. Even with 100 Million PS2s out there and ridiculous hype building for the PS3 as we speak, I still underestimated the demand. People have jobs, I reasoned, they wouldn't be able to wait outside of a store. I'm clearly more hardcore than random Vernon Hills bastards anyway. I'll get on that list because I deserve it. Stupid, PS3-less Tom.

The thing is, I know I don't need a PS3 this fall. I'm still playing Okami even though I've had it for three weeks already. I simply do not have time to play through as many games as I want anymore. What would I do with another system? There are three more PS2 games I want to at least play after I wrap up Okami (God Hand, Family Guy and Bully) that will fill up the rest of October for me. And then there's the NDS storm that is quickly approaching. X360 may not have much, but I want to play the new Splinter Cell and cannot wait for Viva and Gears of War. So why do I want a PS3?

It's new and shiny. I want Resistance because Ratchet and Clank is one of the best franchises around. I want that new Jaffe game because, as far as I can tell, he has never made a bad game. I want Motorstorm because it looks fantastic. Have you seen this thing? Ridge Racer 7 even blows Ridge Racer 6 out of the water. And then there's Unknown Realms. I have no idea when that is coming out but I better own a PS3 by then. Basically, there are enough games at launch to justify a purchase, I have money for the system, and I'm going to get it eventually anyway. Why can't I have in November?

So how will I console myself? For one, the Wii does come out just two days after the PS3. I'm not too hyped for the Wii right now, but Zelda alone should make it ridiculously fun. The NDS certainly had a slow start, just quirky mini games showing what the system could do, and the Wii seems to be following suit. It may take six months or a year, but the Wii will be incredible. Plus, it's a new experience, right? Screw next gen, I'm getting a new gen system. We know Sony's track record with launch consoles. It isn't good. We know the failure rate of X360s manufactured last year, also not good. If I miss out this year I can pay less for the system, less for the games, and get a piece of technology that won't break right away. I should be overjoyed EB rejected my .preorder.

I'm going to go to the bathroom and play Mario vs Donkey Kong now. I need some cheering up.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]