Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Like a tiny phoenix.... I have been disgraced

The Electronic Entertainment Expo is just a huge event. There's something like 79,000 people who attend. I read somewhere that only 80,000 people live in the entirety of Delaware, and that's our first state. Not to mention the LA convention center is roughly the same size as that door-manufacturing pseudo-colony. You could see how two gamers who suffer from next gen tunnel vision could miss a few games. I could even make a joke here how hard it is to find such little cars, micro-sized cars if you will, in such a large building. However, I feel Nick and I have let down our readers enough. Micro Machines was playable on the show floor and we just flat out missed it. Shall I hand in my gaming badge now or at the end of the week?

How could I have know the Codemasters booth held this gem? IGN scooped us on this story so I'm just going to tell you about the game based on their brief preview. So, you drive these little vehicles around tracks based on real life locales. They mention how "different" this new Micro Machines game is because you can drive outside. They even specifically mentioned the beach track. Well, we all know you could fly helicopter through a bramblin' beach in that NES Machines game, so at least we have something on IGN. There's obviously a multiplayer mode which apparently works over something called Ad Hoc. I never remember if that is local or via the internet, though, so can't help you there. I'm going to assume it means offline because they'd probably just say WiFi if it was online compatible. Also, there are more than 750 little vehicles to earn and, if you're feeling feisty, you can risk your cars in a winner takes all match with a buddy.

Oh, and the new game is on the NDS and PSP. The NDS actually uses two screens with a friggin' steering wheel taking up the entirety of the bottom screen. I think they tried this "feature" in one of those horrible racing games that launched with the system. Take that as a warning that this game might suck as well. Let's just hope they don't force you to move the steering wheel with the stylus. I can't imagine anything less fun that trying to race with a stylus.

Anyway, I send my sincerest apologies for not actually seeing this at the show. If I could go back in time I would first play this game and then get a couple more of those Gears of War faceplates. But those are my only regrets.

To make up for my blunder, here is a third look at the Nintendo DS Lite. Enjoy.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]