Sunday, April 30, 2006

Tom is batshit insane

There's really no other way for damage control here; what's done is done and I think it was a bit awkward for everyone. Let's discuss this though. I believe, best possible scenario, that Tom was attempting to write a column about how he likes his RPGs linear and his characters tangibly developed for him via black and white decision-making. And a very specific, personal definition of role-playing games, which I suppose I can't argue with. Let's make it easier.

"What does Oblivion have going for it other than a huge world and pretty graphics? Honestly, not that much."

What else do you want in a game? It has brilliant visuals, writing, story, physics, AI, gameplay and game design. I'm not a huge fan of some of the art direction since it can be a bit generic-fantasy, but that's about the only large complaint I could begin to level at it. This is what a role-playing game is, and yes, if you don't like role-playing games you won't like this. This is D&D on your TV. This is sculpting a character, and perpetuating their ideas and motives. If you want your hand held for you, with a very well-done illusion of choice and consequence, play KOTOR or Fable. Great writing is very good at making situations seem more dynamic than they are.

"And while Oblivion lets you customize your character in many ways, you don't actually have any choice over what kind of person you become."

Says you. Maybe it's because your hours with the game have been segmented, experiencing various junctures of my character's life, but I'm quite clear on who I am, my motivations and my morals. True, I did join the Dark Brotherhood by killing an innocent to check out their quest line, but I've been feeling crushingly guilty ever since. And that's because it was my decision, not something laid out in front of me with a multiple choice questionnaire. I took it upon myself to take a life, and now I'm dealing with the consequences in several ways. The more of the game you experience the more entertaining it is, because it's so well-crafted. I didn't join the Dark Brotherhood as part of the story, and probably wouldn't have if I was playing my character slightly more strictly. In KOTOR, you were good or evil. In Jade Empire you were good, evil or grey. And in Mass Effect you'll be able to be several different shades in between. In Oblivion, I'm me. With my own morals, my own values, and my own moods. It so happens I'm a good guy who doesn't bother people unless they bother me, for the most part. I have my goofy fun killing sheep and trashing the odd bookshelf, but I understand where the lines are for my character.

"I wish I could actually choose my own course through the game. Other than deciding what mission to do I have no choices at all...It's so unfocused that the missions themselves feel like a series of unconnected fetch quests. There is no cohesive element."

What? What choices don't you have at your disposal? I'm truly lost with this one - sure, you have hundreds of missions with various complexities of framework, but you realize you don't have to do any missions right? And what kind of cohesion are you looking for, besides wanting to have your hand held again?

I think the Official Strategy Guide puts it best actually: "Don't sweat the details of picking race, sex and birthsign for maximum power. We give you the information and analysis so you can make informed decisions. So what if your Redguard sorcerer it a little slower to level or has to work a little harder to defeat an enemy? So what if your High Elf warrior has to scurry and heal a little more than an Orc warrior? There are many ways in Oblivion to build and equip your character to face greater challenges. Thus does your character earn the greater glory. And, best of all, you've done it your way."

I guess I just don't need horns to tell me when I'm being evil.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]