Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Obliwhelmed

We're about six hours in, and it's exponentially more insane than I had expected. And amazing, of course. Everything is just really well done, and you can feel the 3+ years of work in every inch of the game. Walking around dungeons doing nothing but sword fighting could easily be a game on it's own, a first person Norrath of sorts. But there's spells, and alchemy, and all sorts of ridiculously fun physics to play around with. The physical presence you have in the world is second to none, in a game where it isn't even a necessity. I saw a small shiny stone on top on a granite structure that I couldn't reach, and decided to shoot it down with an arrow. It worked, which doesn't usually happen in video games. In general, the physics are the best they've been in any game, ever. Seconds ago, as I was typing that, Tom just found a plate of gems on a box. He pulled out the plate, spilling some of the gems onto the floor. I dropped a potion on a hill and watched it roll around every nook and cranny on the way down to a beach, where it settled in the water. More soon...

Edit: For the record, we're playing as a dark elf named Elsz Dykr, custom class of Blind Puma.

Update:

Been running some real quests instead of just exploring, and things can get pretty complex. We were just tasked with watching three different individuals suspected of conspiring against the man who tasked us with it, one of which I watched for a full 18 hours (about half an hour in-game time). She left her house, strolled to the vineyard, harvested grapes for about half her day, took a break, went and swept behind the church (or harvested the cement, more specifically) for a few more hours, and wandered back home. I watched the others for a bit, but realized they weren't doing anything shady and reported back to my employer. By the third time he figured I was involved and came after me; I let him chase my right into the presence of a city guard, who promptly killed him with a couple of arrows. When asked immediately afterwards what happened to the man, the guard replied "I guess he turned up dead". Mere feet from the scene of the crime. What a great game.

Side note: Tom is risking jail time and stat point loss by breaking into people's houses to steal their carrots and blackberries at night. He in insane.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]