Friday, March 17, 2006

Construction, and saying goodbye

I don't know what Tom is so perturbed by - Viva Pinata isn't for us. I agree that Microsoft needs to get away from the idea of catering to what they believe is the "hardcore gamer", but it's naive to totally dismiss age demographic and target audience when you're publishing a game. I don't even know what would qualify someone as a hardcore gamer these days anyhow; with the average gamer having plenty of disposable income, it's not much of a feat to own all of the systems anymore. I would love to entertain the idea that liking small quirky titles somehow makes me more of a gamer than someone who plays five hours of Madden a day, but it doesn't really - it just makes me arrogant (which I don't deny).

When Microsoft says "we need to go beyond that core audience and develop titles that appeal to a different type of customer", I agree, even if it is a bit misguided. PS2 is successful because it has that luxury - the diversity of their greatest hits line speaks for itself. Microsoft hasn't come close to actually fulfilling the needs of the perceived "gamer" (RPGs, anyone?), but diversifying can only be a good thing. Most of the games I'm looking forward to on the 360 will likely have a gun on the cover - not because the action genre is my favorite, but it's what they do best on the system.

I'm totally psyched for Viva Pinata, but I feel no frustration that they're assuming that I won't want to play it - most people my age who own an Xbox will have absolutely no interest in it. That's just how things are. Hardcore and open-mindedness don't go hand in hand in my book; if anything, it's a level of devotion. I'm all for original IPs and diminishing sequels, and not ignoring specific demands in the market will only help that.

Speaking of original IPs, there's some sad news to report today, even if it's ultimately a good thing. The Katamari series is no more, at least in it's current incarnation. The team has disbanded and the creator is working on a new game. Usually I would whine to no end about a great series ending abruptly, but I'm actually happy about this. They have three great games to their name, they brought the idea that unique, innovative games can be successful back to the forefront when it needed it most, and the series won't be spoiled by an early over-saturation of the brand. Let's all hold hands and cry big cosmic tears at this poignant departure.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]