Sunday, March 05, 2006

Animal Crossing: Wild World of Tag

I'm in the middle of writing a post that will invariably be more entertaining to the readers of the G, but I feel like I should share this incredible story of nets, a Spaceman, and a place called Brinstar.

I'm back playing Animal Crossing way too much. I'm not sure what specifically drew me back in, but the tremendous community at Penny-Arcade is a huge reason. I can now understand how Nick felt with his Halo 2 clan: just having a huge community of people who love a game makes the experience so much better. Tonight I was visiting Brinstar, a place Eyes5 calls home. It is my town of choice when venturing away from Pancacko. Not only are we both online at similar times, but her town is the most incredible I have ever seen. It has literally 1,000 flowers there; covered from wall to wall with foliage. A sight to behold. As I was walking carefully through her fields - running ruins flowers - I joked that we should play a game of Tag in which the participants walked in a slow-paced chase scene.

After we played around for awhile - hiding in trees and behind houses - we posted in the AC thread to invite two more players to compete. A 20 minute game of tag with a prize being awarded to the winner was organized. And not just any prize: the unorderable Spaceman to the one who could avoid the swing of the net for the longest.

I didn't think the game would be particularly fun, but for some reason it was fantastic. We made a rule that hiding was not allowed, so there was continual, through strategic, movement with a close ear to the microphone for foreign footsteps. In the open field things really picked up. With players moving at the same pace, it was up to cunning moves and feints to avoid the swing of the net. I don't want to brag, but I somehow voided being "It" for almost the whole game, which spanned more than 30 minutes because of lags and new players entering. The rush of adrenaline was severely lacking in the lackadaisical land of Pancacko, but the child's game of Tag has brought a level of excitement I didn't think was possible.

It seems like it's only a matter of time before I tire of this quaint world, but with new insects to catch and games to invent, I may be playing this for a long, long time.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]