Monday, February 06, 2006

Precipice part 2

So, where were we? If Sony did indeed roll out an online service superior to Live, somehow, this whole thing would be over a whole lot quicker than is worth discussion. Outside of the prospect of Halo 3, Microsoft have little else. Not having a game you can get behind at launch is fine for a bit, but Microsoft are competing, and they don't really have time on their side. A Gears of War demo packaged with every new 360 sold could do a lot of good, but if won't fight off the inevitable.

I won't fully count out mystery game X - GTA3 in previous examples, a game that comes out of nowhere to define a generation. This could very well land on the 360, but the installed base has to be there to appreciate it. Considering how powerful a first-party Sony punch is, Microsoft needs to pick up the pace there as well. And, as much as I hate to say it, they don't need to be taking any risks here. They just need a steady stream of good, predictable titles. They should be taking every risk possible in Japan, but they are too exposed here to have an excusable stream of failures.

As much as I want it to be neck and neck, I just feel like Microsoft has no momentum at the moment, and everyone is just drooling over anything that the other companies let slip. I understand that they're selling every system that hits shelves here, but it's kind of hollow - it's just meeting demand, not pushing systems. I do hope that everything changes next month. I want the most out of my 360, and I want a game to come home and hope online with every night. Or at least explore Tamri'el while chatting to my buddies. I've been enamored with the system, but there's still not a whole lot drawing me to it on a daily basis.

Eh, I guess I'm just preaching to the choir here. Everyone knows in their heart of hearts that Sony will cruise again this gen, as mixed a blessing as that is. Until Nintendo change the world, or publicly solidify their plans to, things aren't going to change.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]