Saturday, January 07, 2006

Dragon Quest 8 or "If this is sold out, y'all sold outta life!"

I haven't played my 360 in a week or so, but I have a damn good reason. Well, a reason that's not exclusively Animal Crossing. Dragon Quest 8 is the most charming, subtly addictive game that I've played in a while. I'm not a big RPG guy for the most part; Final Fantasy VIII was pretty much the zenith of the genre in every regard from what I've played, and I haven't strayed too far from the series since. I mean, I do own several (plenty) others that I'll play when I'm old and grey (or possibly sooner), but this is the first non-FF RPG I've bought anywhere near it's release AND actually played, perhaps ever. And it's great.

It's very traditional, very simple, and completely compelling. I usually despise Toriyama's art, but WOW are this world and it's occupants completely gorgeous. There aren't any throwaway characters - every enemy and NPC is unique and easy on the eyes, as are your characters (especially Jessica, which I'm sure you've heard). Just walking around the towns and world in-between is breathtaking and always interesting. Just like the creatures, every bag of grain, rock and cupboard is colorful and well-modeled. So yeah, the game looks great. In fact, the only thing better than the look and design is the soundtrack, which is fully-orchestrated (take that, Japanese release!) and god. damn. stunning. Just behind Halo 2 and Katamari, probably my favorite game soundtrack ever. And I'm only five hours into the game.

I'm actually more or less done talking about it for now, I just wanted to mention that I'm playing it and that it's fantastic. Some call the gameplay archaic, I call it charmingly rustic. For anyone who has enjoyed an RPG in the last decade, I can't see how you wouldn't adore this.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]