Saturday, November 12, 2005

Very backwards compatibility

Any way you look at it, the 360 backwards compatibility list is pretty funny. I mean, I'm pretty impressed that they pulled off 213 games for launch, nearly a third of the Xbox library, but why is every single horrendous budget game on there and most of the best third-party games not? Is anyone really worried about not being able to play Sneakers, Circus Maximus, Barbie Horse Adventure, Chicago Enforcer, Curse, Egg Mania, Kabuki Warrior and dozens more games that you've probably never even heard of on their 360? It's noble that they're going for the whole library, but starting partially with games like those just makes the games that aren't on the list that much harder to stomach.

Say goodbye to Psychonauts, Oddworld, Panzer Dragoon, Burnout, Phantom Dust, Jet Set Radio, Riddick, Mercenaries, Full Spectrum Warrior, Advent Rising, Deus Ex, Otogi 1 & 2, Psi-Ops, Galleon, Beyong Good & Evil, Breakdown, Syberia, Tron and just about anything else unique or interesting (which I not coincidentally, own). Hell, not even all of Microsoft's titles are on there - no Conker, no Kingdom Under Fire, Mechassault, etc. And then there are just some really weird choices that I don't care about but would be fuming if I was Johnny Average Gamer - Doom, Madden, Splinter Cell 1-3, Star Wars Battlefront 1 & 2, and plenty more. It's not a bad start, it's just a bit weird and a bit hilarious.

It is cool that all games that are compatible will be upscaled to 720p and 1080i, with improved anti-aliasing. And if I ever get an HDTV, I'll probably be even more pleased with that. Anyhow, I guess I'm hanging on to my Xbox for the time being, which is a shame - I really wanted to get rid of that beast. Good day.

Edit: Oops, sorry Tom.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]