Thursday, November 17, 2005

Summing it up

It's been a while since we mentioned Graffiti Kingdom, but this is just too good. I'm not sure why Tom and I never immortalized our brilliant creations on G-Pinions, but I guess that's something to look forward to.

And while this misinformed malcontent makes things seem confusingly worse than they are, this launch has turned into a bit of a train wreck. Considering they have such elegant hardware and rich online/system features and functionality, they've focused an awful lot on mismanaging media coverage, consumer expectations and bizarre commercials. It's almost like they forget that this is their fight to lose - just because your first few shipments are sold out doesn't mean you can just throw things together at the last minute.

One thing seems certain at this point - Perfect Dark will be fun, but not a whole lot more. Microsoft doesn't keep secrets, and there's no reason to believe that the game hitting shelves today is drastically different in any regard than every preview build covered thus far. It's my only for-sure launch game at this point though, so I'd rather keep my expectations low regardless. I can see myself picking up Call of Duty 2 and King Kong as well, as their respective kiosk demos were fantastic. Three FPSses at launch seems a bit indulgent, but I guess I shouldn't of expected otherwise from M$. Condemned and Kameo seem pretty great as well, but I'd rather borrow those for a single play through. And actually, Live sounds pretty impressive; I have to respect EA for taking the risky route this time, and I may end up rewarding them for it.

It's also been incredibly stressful avoiding other game releases this week. Dragon Quest 8, Sonic Rush and Half-Life 2 are all immense temptations, and will probably end up being purchased by the end of the year. In a way I'm glad that the launch is turning out a bit mundane, as it doesn't steal the limelight away from the great current gen stuff still coming out, and makes me feel not quite as bad in indulging in it. Then again, I've played little else outside of Mario Kart DS since finishing Shadow of the Colossus (which WILL be discussed at the appropriate juncture).

It's a wonderful, confusing, expensive time to be a gamer.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]