Thursday, November 03, 2005

Change of Heart

A few months ago, after Microsoft announced the exhorbanant price for their new system, I flatly said I would pass. I have never spent more than $200 on a video game system and there certainly wasn't anything coming out that would warrant a literal doubling of my cash cap. But then, they started showing games. Rare games, to be specific. Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero, to be ever more specific. Did you know Perfect Dark is my second favorite game of all time? Do you know how weak I am? How my stomach twists and turns until it is satisfied by whatever it craves?

The point is, about a month ago, I cracked. I decided to camp outside my local Target to buy an Xbox 360 the second I was allowed. Just one system and Perfect Dark Zero. Nothing more. Though I will have to buy a controller recharger as well. Shame MS expects people to shell out more cash so they don't have to use AA batteries, but if I need to I need to. But that's all I'm going to buy. Well, maybe a warranty since my first Microsoft made system broke. And I'm going to need a new Live account as well... Hmmm, this is getting a bit pricey, eh?

But still, I wanted to play Perfect Dark Zero, no matter what the cost. But then, a $14 gift from the gods of gaming arrived at my house. It was wrapped in a plastic bag and delivered upon me by one Mr. Nick. "What is this?" I asked, my voice quieting in excitement. "The game you asked me to buy for you, douche," was the reply.

I had to wait until Monday to play Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal. I figured I would mess around for an hour at the most - I was feeling ill and my plan was to sleep and watch football - but we all know how the best laid plans turn out. What? You never read Of Mice and Men? Well, the retard gets it in the head. I'm not sure how that relates to this column, though. Anyway, before I knew it, I was flipping periodically between Monday Night Football and Ratchet, lingering longer and longer on the fictitious game. On Tuesday, I promised I would ignore Up Your Arsenal until I finished all my homework. Once again, my persuasive procrastinating side won out over Mr. Studious Responsibility and Robert Browning's sick, fantastic poetry had to wait until the wee hours of the morning. Wednesday I had no plans or obligations holding me back. Aside from a quickly eaten meal or two and a minute online to brag about my successes, it was nothing but Ratchet for my waking hours. Today I woke up an hour early to get some playtime in before class. Needless to say, I arrived late. 17 hours and one play through later, I am ready to elevate Insomniac into my holy grail of video game developers.

How does this tie into what I was writing about in the beginning? Well, R&C3 is so good, I'm seriously considering not buying the Xbox 360 at all. It may seem ridiculous, especially since I just won the game, but it is perfectly logical in my mind. I own three active systems (PS2, GC and NDS). Why would I shell out $400 + who knows how much, just to play games that most likely won't even be as good as what is currently out there? Ratchet is honestly one of the best games of this generation and, depending how I feel tomorrow, one of the most fun games I have ever played. Will a few rushed launch titles really be able to match that? When you consider I just got F-Zero GX, Wave Race: Blue Storm and Castlevania DS today, and have Mario Kart DS and Shadow of the Colossus waiting in the wings, is there any wonder I am hesitant about shelling out mad cash for something I don't really need? To think, I was planning on not even buying Mario and Luigi 2: Partners in Time just so I could tinker with the latest system. For shame. Am I a fan of video games or technology?

Anyway, do what you want but know this - if you buy the Xbox 360 right away you are a fool. A fool I say! Mwa Ha Ha!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]