Sunday, May 01, 2005

God I hate EGM

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate EGM? How they are the main culprit in my ongoing rant against video game journalism? I know it's stupid to even complain about them since most people are aware that they are merely a corporate mouthpiece and can't be trusted anyway, but this latest tidbit was just too ridiculous for me to pass up. In last month's issue they had a piece designed to piss off its readers. Instead of doing an intelligent piece on, I don't know, the ramifications of Oddworld leaving the industry and whether Lorne might actually be right about the future of the industry, readers got a fluff feature called "The 10 Most Overrated Games."

I didn't write about this at the time because it is really one of the most embarrassing pieces of journalism I have ever seen. You can read the whole list here but I would advise against it. All you need to know is that Rare apparently kicked EGM's collective baby in the head because five of the top ten most overrated games of all time were Rare classics (well, three classics and two that were forgotten years ago).

Shockingly, I'm not here to write about the greatness that is Rare. The tenth most overrated game, according to EGM, was Ico. Now, I'm not a big fan of this game. It actually bored me so much I gave it back to Nick after a mere hour. But I understand why people like it and respect their opinion. Obviously, EGM doesn't. They wrote "This will upset the art school kids, but Ico hasn't really changed our lives. It's not that we don't appreciate the relationship between its characters and the understated themes, but the "games as art" folks need to get a grip. We've got a ways to go before the Louvre...."

Is EGM really the best source to define games as art?

Now check this out: in the latest issue they have a list of the Top 10 Cult Classics. Number 2 on that list? Ico.

EGM says "Despite the hyperbole, Ico is one of those remarkable experiences that are sadly in short supply these days. Critics adore Ico and its ardent fanbase cites it as an example of how gaming has the potential to be truly artistic."

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]