Friday, March 18, 2005

Been fun while it lasted

Just a warning before you start reading - this post is going to be long and will lack any and all focus. Consider it a gift to you, my loyal reader, for putting up with all those short and concise posts through these 13 long months. More accurately, consider it a goodbye present. With Spring Break approaching in a mere four hours and twelve minutes from when this sentence is being typed, the only way one can celebrate such a momentous event is by ignoring a site they love. Put your pitchfork down for a second, I have perfectly valid reasons why this must be the case. First, I am spending my break in the not yet civilized city known as Libertyville. While a car and running water will be provided for me, I have neither a computer nor television to call my own. Not to mention the most recent video game system will be a musty, dusty and potentially rusty Intellivision. Combine my lack of available games with the arrival of two of my closest friends, currently residing in the nether regions of the Great Forty Eight, and you can see why I must turn my back on G-Pinions. So enjoy Nick's tasteful stylings until I return some time in the not too distant future.

I did warn you this would meander, did I not? Moving on to some good natured Halo 2 ribbing. Dare I post another Penny-Arcade comic? Oh, I dare:



Simply a classic Penny-Arcade comic. A bit of exaggeration mixed in with a smattering a truth. You'll laugh at the absurdity of being able to play Halo 2 while the controller rests elsewhere, and then you'll quietly nod as you read through Bungie's incomplete to do list. When all is said and done, you will sit back with a fine cigar and contemplate the comic further. While what they say is true, you may wonder why they insisted on ripping Halo:CE three years ago but have waiting until now to take a few shots at Halo 2. I don't remember their specific complaints with Halo:CE, other than the monotonous Campaign mode, but I do remember they frequently insulted it. Eventually, they played the multiplayer mode and all was forgiven, but for a few months they could say nothing but derogatory things about Halo:CE. As a launch title and probably the first major release ever for Bungie (unless you consider Myth "major" which no one does) Halo:CE was amazing. It has it's share of problems, even Bungie has admitted that, but considering its shortened development time it was an achievement that really deserves a slow clap.

Halo 2, however, was completely spared of PA's ridicule. This is the title they should have taken to task. Offering dual wielding and online after three years in development? Is this a joke? Maybe they were hanging out with Rockstar the whole time, seeing how to upgrade a game without really offering anything new. Of course, even GTA has more new features than Halo. Whoever they decided to model, possibly Capcom or CSI: Miami, they did an admirable job. Working at Bungie has to be the sweetest job there is right now - sit on your ass and do nothing while legions of fans build shrines and beautiful women peel Italian grapes.



There's a story floating around detailing EA's side of the story in the NFL license agreement. I have no interest in digging it up or really talking about it, but I do have this one quote to share. In regards to the complete lack of competition EA now faces with the deal: "The reality is, competition for Madden is much broader than that. For us, competition is Halo 2, Grand Theft Auto, or any of those games," Sitrin said."

I love how EA is trying to show they won't rest on their laurels by naming franchises that seemingly have. Makes me laugh at least.

Moving on to a game worth my precious words: Knights of the Old Republic 2.

First, I feel I should defend this title in the midst of ripping Halo 2 for offering nothing new. For you see, KotOR II offers a nearly identical experience to the first game. So why am I so hard on Halo 2, a game I ultimately really enjoyed, while I will eventually praise KotOR II as my favorite game from 2004? Simple, they are in different genres. An RPG is built on strong characters and an engrossing story. Gameplay has, and always will, take a back seat. Graphics and sound are also a mere compliment to the rest of the package. One is not expected to offer drastic upgrades in popular RPG franchises. Just look at the reaction the gaming community had to FFVIII. Think Square wishes they had left well enough alone?

Basically, the Sith Lords is the first Knights of the Old Republic with a different story and more interesting characters. And for that I couldn't be happier. While this title was supposedly rushed out the door (an 18 month development cycle will do that to a game... are you listening EA?) which means the tight story and interesting characters fall apart in the end (from what I've heard), at this point in the game, about 13 hours in, KotOR II not only is on par with the original, it actually surpasses it in every single way.



First of all, the story is much more interesting right now. I would get into the logistics but, since I went in to the game completely blind, I'll allow the same for my readers. What I can tell you is, while there is certainly an underlying adventure, much of the story is a semantics debate in what is right and wrong, and what defines a Jedi. I never realized how deep the Star Wars universe could be before this game. At one point I encountered someone from my past, and we had a conversation that lasted about thirty minutes. I'm not exaggerating either. She would reveal some plot point or her opinion on a matter, and I was given a list of ten responses with which to express my point of view. And the amount of things I could say was simply staggering. At one point I commented that I wasn't to blame for something, and the person talking to me simply twisted my words to insult me further. I turned to Tim at this point, who was dutifully watching me play, and said "That's not what I meant!" Then when I was given the chance to respond one of the choices was to call her out on her ignorance. Fantastic.

In addition to the story, the characters are much stronger this time around. As much as I loved to torment Carth and get ripped apart by Bastilla, they were one dimensional. I always knew that Bastilla would frown when I destroyed a helpless citizen, and Carth would cry when I said I would disembowel him. It was fun, yes, but it all feels so simple compared to KotOR II.

In KotOR II, my Jedi companion does not judge me, but guides me. My angry gunner companion has changed his feelings on what I am doing as we become closer. While he used to say "Why did we do that?" he now goes along with my judgment because he trusts me. It's a feeling of power and realism I have never before seen in a game. Each character responds differently to my actions because they are completely different beings. They have feelings and moods that can change at the drop of a hat just like I do. For all the talk that I would never like Fallout or Planescape, if this is what Obsedian has always been doing I see no reason why I wouldn't like those games as well. If this is the beginning of what I can expect in future RPGs, it's going to be mighty hard for Square to win me over again. The days of point and click interactive books are long over.

And with that I am out.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]