Wednesday, October 13, 2004

One could be on your back right now

I remember way back in July when I first got my school schedule for the fall. I looked sadly at it, remembering how easy life was at Columbia, and realized I would be spending roughly half of my life at school in the coming semester. I told Nick then that I really wasn't sure how often I would be able to update G-Pinions. I told him that he should probably only expect one or two updates a week. "That's all I'll be able to fit in." I said.

Now I'm smack dab in the middle of this ridiculous schedule and I update less than one time a week. What happened? Was the workload even more than I anticipated? Did I just stop playing games completely? Unfortunately, I have no excuse except pure laziness. From this point forward, I vow to update at least once a week. Sure, that isn't much, but considering how little I've updated recently, shouldn’t you be happy with anything?

Moving on to video games... upon walking to class early Tuesday afternoon, out of the corner of my eye I saw a bright, yellow sticker fashioned to the middle of a sewer grate. Normally, I wouldn't allow myself the indignity of going out of my way to see what the message of a sticker was, but there was something about this particular sticker. Maybe it was the way the sun bounced merrily off the top. Or it might have been the pure, golden hue that radiated good fortune. Whatever it was, I found myself looking closer.

What did I see? A black R followed by a small star. "Huh," I thought to myself. "Isn't that the Rockstar label?"

With no time to survey the area, I rushed to class. The whole time my thoughts were preoccupied by this sticker. Why would there be a bright yellow sticker stuck to the top of a sewer? Did the average person even recognize the Rockstar logo? I decided that it couldn’t' have been by chance - the sticker was right in the middle of the sewer grate. So why was it there?

Walking back to the train after class, the mystery grew. One half block north of the random sewer is a smattering of newspaper receptacles. I really have no idea if that's their proper name or not. The giant, metal contraptions that happily accept your quarters in exchange for the day’s news. There are probably 6 or 7 lined up outside of the L stop.

To my surprise, the same yellow sticker was now stuck on 4 of these boxes. Usually, they were placed near the coin slot where one could not help but see it if they were in the mood for purchasing a paper. But, as the thing is so bright and so yellow, placing it almost anywhere on the mini entrepreneur is enough for a passerby to see it.

What is up with these ads?

Coming out of the train this morning, I wasn’t sure what to expect. The yellow stickers on the newspaper thingies and sewer were still there, but even more appeared along my walk. One was stuck 5 foot up a light poll. Another on a bus stop. One of them was placed next to the call button on an emergency help post. Clearly, this Rockstar sticker business has gotten out of hand.

If anyone has any information on where these are coming from, or have seen them in other places throughout the city, please tell me. We must get to the bottom of this mystery.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]