Thursday, October 28, 2004

For Chiliad

First, some non-GTA-related stuff: Check out the video for Bumpy Trot, the most awesome hyper-cute mech rhythm action game I've ever seen. I'll eat my cat if it comes to America, but it's still worth a look (and a petition, maybe?); also, it's from the guys who make R-Type. WEIRD. Next, while it's not a must-see, this PC game PT Boats: Knights of the Sea (yeah, we don't endorse PC gaming, but just check it out) has the most realistic-looking water that I've ever seen in a videogame. Lastly, on a rather sad note, Destroy All Humans! has been delayed until Q1 2006. It was probably my most-anticipated game of next year thus far, but I suppose I can't have it all (Juiced was also delayed until then, but who the fuck cares about that - though it is pretty funny that PSM reviewed it last issue before Acclaim folded). Actually, in even sadder news, I have a feeling that Bloodrayne (the movie) will make House of the Dead look like Usual Suspects (how the FUCK did Boll get Michael Madsen, nevermind Ben Kingsly?). Not so much a feeling, actually, more a direct impression based on that trailer. Now, for some good news.

GTAGTAGTAGTAGTA. This game is goddamned unreal. IGN was right on the mark with their 9.9. Penny-Arcade haven't played enough of the game yet, and Gamespot are being reeeeally picky. Sure, the game has problems - lots of tiny problems. But 99% of the time, none of them affect your enjoyment of the game. See the justification? Anyhow, the last two hours of the game that I played were two of the best hours I've ever had in front of a TV. Firstly, the second-to-last mission before you leave Los Santos (temporarily, of course) is mind-meltingly fun. All I'll say is that it ends with that shot of you motorcycling over two exploding trucks from the second trailer for the game. Then, for various reasons, you find yourself in the countryside. Let me tell you about the country. Earlier in the game, when I had driven out to the woods to see just what the fuss was about, I decided that the game was too big and that no great use could be made of the space. There was no chaos, no people randomly shooting at you, and no sirens. It took some forced time away from the city with just me, my motorcycle, and the country radio station (anything else would be HIGHLY inappropriate) to realize how truly magical it is. Kind of like the real countryside, in real life. Sure, the missions you'll get into out there are fantastic (running over people with a crop thresher, anyone? off-road ATV uzi fights?), but it's nice just to get away from it all. You can just cruise, and it feels really, really great. I even felt bad hitting passing drivers, thinking that they were probably having as nice a time as I was. I even parked my car properly in a diner's parking lot in the middle of nowhere. It makes you respect your environment, and in a game like GTA, that's nothing short of a miracle. Oh, there's also Mount Chiliad, which took me a good fifteen minutes to get to the top of (on a motorcycle). Guess what's at the top? A parachute. And a ramp. And, thanks to religiously perfect timing, a stunning sunset. I'll let your mind wander.

GTA:SA has now become the defining game of this generation. It's throne might be usurped two wednesdays from now, but to be honest, I doubt it. No game is anything like GTA, and no GTA thus far is like San Andreas. You'll feel things in this game - sure, there's bloodlust, vengeance, deviance, adrenaline, sick pleasure, nervousness, and frustration, but there's also freedom, tranquility, reverence and pure joy. A motherfucking work of art.


P.S. I played the two-player mode a bit with Nate Dogg; it's pretty damn fun, but nothing to buy the game over. Though Dan and Ben will never leave the house if they try it. Ever.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]