Wednesday, October 27, 2004

And I got a haircut

Goddamn. I just typed a nice long post about some awesome GTA stuff, my computer froze (which it NEVER does), and I lost my entire post. Anyhow, I'll try to rewrite some of it, but bear with me if it's somewhat abridged. I started by saying that Tom and I played a somewhat unsatisfying session of GTA today, mostly because we were stuck on several hard missions and stubbornly didn't explore our other options. The whole experience caused him to say egregious things such as "seems like GTA 3.3", though I don't blame him based on his time with the game. Turns out all the badass missions and features plopped into my lap as soon as I booted up the game after driving him home (don't worry Tom, I'm saving a save game for you to play from right before my favorite GTA mission EVER).

You might recall that earlier this year when they announced San Andreas I said that "I want gang turf immunity/assistance depending on whom I side with (optional NPCs for any mission)". Well, check it out: Gangs and gang territories are in it, and they're AWESOME. Basically, depending on your respect level, you can recruit random gangbangers roaming your hood (I can get three right now, I don't know how it will work with more), at which point they'll hop in your car or walk behind you if you're on foot and follow you into whatever nasty business you're involved in. I haven't tried using them in a mission yet, but I'm assuming it works on at least a couple. Regardless, they're great for gaining turf. Turf, you say? Yes, turf, that's what we call it in the hood, busta. Your map is split up into colors, each associated with a different gang. If you roll up into any one that's not yours and start shooting at any tough-looking dudes on the street, you'll start a gang war (you actually have to kill a couple, but this isn't a goddamn semantics debate). Your boyz (whaaa??? a 'z'???) will back you up if you have any, and basically you'll face three waves of increasingly larger groups of thugs whom you have to eliminate. They drop awesome things like AK-47s (which make beating a certain goddamn "chasing a train" mission a cinch), body armor and cash, and if you kill them all you win the turf, which you then collect money from. The more turf you control, the more you'll constantly be bringing in (and the thugs in those zones won't shoot at you and you can recruit guys from there as well). And while you're driving around aimlessly later in the game, you periodically get a message that someone is attacking your turf, and you can go defend it if you wish. It's fucking sweet, to say the last.

Other quick-shot awesomeness so far: Doing massive bunny hops on your BMX bike over fences, hedges, and other cars, pinning down civilians with a stream of water from your fire truck, stealth kills, and overheard dialogue making fun of Driv3r. Lots more to come, fo sho.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]