Tuesday, August 31, 2004

'Lions and monkeys and draculas, oh my!' or 'Is there a Softball Hell?'

So, let me tell you about a little place I call Softball Heaven. Well, not so much a place, as a game. An NES game, and one of the best, and most outlandish ones I've ever played. This little wonder of programming and design basically jacks the RBI Baseball engine with no regrets, and drops a wondrous world of woodland animals, not-so-woodland animals, monsters, and guys named Anton right over it.

You see, late last night my compatriot Dan and I were browsing the many games on my NES DC emulator. Having played several games of RBI where I had my five-pixel ass handed to me by Dan's triple-plays, two-base steals, and all-star fielding, I needed a fresh start. I didn't think things could get any more ridiculous than Dan's quote of the night while playing RBI, "This game is so unrealistic!", but sure enough, we stumbled upon Heaven. You start the game by picking a stage, such as cliff, forest, or field. We chose cliff. Each level has it's own slight rule variations, this one being that home runs to the right side of the level turn into doubles (and a couple other I forget). You then pick your team of... things. I chose the likes of a moblin (goblin from Zelda?), an owl, a white lion, a monkey (in overalls, of course), a mummy, a dude named Anton, an eagle, metal (a guy with heavy metal hair), the wolfman, and one more my brain probably forced me to forget. Dan went with a frog, a giant eyeball (his pitcher), a pig, a kangaroo, dracula, a racoon, a mouse, and three others.

Though we didn't figure it out until late in the game, each creature has a different power. Some can bound into the air, some can hover in the air, some can bounce along the field, etc. Also, it appears that all of your players are on the field at all times, so while you think your eyeball can hit it past the lion on first base and into the right field gap, don't underestimate the wolfman. If it's not a homerun or a pop-fly, things get kind of chaotic, with colorful, crazy creatures running this way and that. And if you do hit a home run, get ready for the celebration of your life, including fireworks, a team line-up, and flowers brought to you by a pretty lady. Pure genius. It was a good game too, I won 8-7 (only seven innings here). I don't see why they'd even consider not making a game like this for the current generation of consoles, or at least add it in as a separate mode in MVP 2005. Wouldn't you love to see a well-rendered dracula soar past a couple of strikingly realistic kangaroos to catch a fly ball, as the crowd chants "NOS-FE-RA-TU, NOS-FE-RA-TU!"? Wouldn't you pay good money to play such a game?


(I found the linked images at retardedgames.com, though they obviously have their priorities all messed up if they're featuring this game)

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]