Thursday, July 08, 2004

This wacky industry

Crazy, crazy, crazy. There have been a lot of odd happenings in the videogame industry recently, especially in this last week. Well, let me back it up a bit. First, after it's suspicious absence at E3, it was announced that True Fantasy Live Online was cancelled. Apparently Microsoft didn't think it was making much progress in development, so they cancelled it (this, after deciding to drop publishing on the new Oddworld game and Psychonauts). Personally I think the game was looking fantastic, and with Level 5 (Dark Cloud) behind it I'm sure it would end up top tits. Also, X-Box could use a MMORPGB (the 'B' is for bagain). And does X-Box really need any more reasons to do terribly in Japan? Japanese kids eat up MMORPGs like delicious chocolate; it probably would have been the "killer app" over on their shores. I can never understand cancelling games that far in development. I mean, even if it sells badly it will still make it's money back, right? It's not like a damn movie. And I don't think Microsoft needs to worry about money at the moment anyhow, just about making strong new franchises to lure fans, which this would have done. Bah!

Next on the news list, shortly after E3 Blizzard announced it had taken development of Starcraft: Ghost away from Nihilistic. Now, I trust Blizzard completely seeing as they've never released a less-than-awesome game, so despite it looking great, if they say they want someone else working on it I'm down. Now here's the weird/great part - they've chosen Swingin' Ape Studios, creators of Metal Arms. The game is pure fun, and Swingin' Ape are pure awesome; they represent everything that's right and good with making videogames. I know this because I watched a documentary on the making of Metal Arms a while back on G4, and they just came across as a bunch of great guys who love to make great games. They're all about making their games pure fun, and somehow incorporating every good idea they come up with into said games. They're passionate about their work, and so far it's (mostly) showed in the critical reception of Metal Arms. So, I'll be very interested to see where they take Ghost. I'll also make the prediction now that in their hands it will be one of the highest-rated games of whatever year it ends up being released in.

I guess this isn't that shocking, but Acclaim lost the Turok and MLB licenses. They've been close to bankruptcy for a while now, and haven't exactly made good use of the licenses in the last couple years. Looks like Tom's game character "raptor riding a T-Rex with a cowboy hat and whip" hits it's first real obstacle. I must say, this saddens me. So who's going to pick up the Turok series? My guess would be.....hmm.....Sammy Studios. We'll see.

Hmm, well, I guess there's less news than I thought there was (i.e. I'm probably forgetting a couple of things). I think I'm going to go play some R-Type Final, which just arrived in my mail. Yay!

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]