Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Ginger the short man

I will try my best to refrain from talking about the Pistons during this post. Since our last update did not deal with video games at all, it hardly seems fair to subject our loyal readers to a tribute of my all-time favorite Piston - Darko. I know it's trendy to love the Pistons now, but the awkward grace of the Serbian monster is too much for me to bear. The way he tore down that offensive rebound in the closing minutes, then stood completely still - unsure what do to with the basketball - as a Laker stole the ball cleanly from his troll like hands, brought a tear of joy to my eye.

But, alas, I digress. The reason I have not updated these past two days, besides writing letters and drawing pictures of the #2 overall draft pick from a year ago, was because I have had my hands tied up with a beautiful new game. No, I won't mention it in this post - it deserves more hours of play time and a coherent post - but I'm sure anyone who both knows me and is able to read release dates will have some idea what game I have been enjoying. Until I update, though, you will just have to keep guessing.

Moving to a real topic, according to you-know-who, the sexily titled Xbox 2 is now coming out in the latter stages of 2005. I've heard these early release dates before, for every generation, and I once again have to question the validity of it. Sure, there are a couple trustworthy anonymous sources saying they will be shocked and pissed if Microsoft doesn't release the console come next Christmas, but that is hardly a convincing argument. Is Microsoft really willing to risk their position of the most powerful console on the market? Their strategy this generation seemed to be supply everything a developer may need and just let them go to work. Does it really seem like Microsoft is going to take the opposite route and release an underpowered system with no fancy hard drive? I am going to guess not, but who knows?

On the other side of the pond, Sony is apparently going to sit on the success of the PS2 for 3 more years. 2007, they claim, is when the 3rd coming will finally arrive in our (Nick's) home. He-who-should-not-be-named quoted another anonymous source stating that, by delaying their uber console until Emma Watson is legal, they ensure their much heralded Cell Chip will be ready for mass production. Oh, and their Mini Disc 2 - aka Blu-Ray DVD - will be ready to take the world by storm. Sony has a brand new DVD technology they are itching to get out there, but don’t realize that people (me) have no interest in buying a 3rd copy of Fight Club. They are a stubborn company, though, and firmly believe any format they push out there will eventually succeed. It seems like they have enough on their hands with UMD coming out next year, but maybe that's just me.

In Nintendo news... a child sitting next to me in a movie complained that the original Metroid, included in Metroid: Zero Mission, is far too difficult. Can we get someone on this problem? I think the DS and Revolution should continue where the Gamecube left off - have one huge button in the middle of the controller. Who needs 6 buttons when you can have one? Just think how amazing it would be if Square made games for these new consoles. Hit A (the one button), watch movie, and then repeat. Ah, the joys of gaming.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]