Saturday, May 08, 2004

Katamari Damashii

Most of the time, whenever someone talks about a quirky Japanese only title, I laugh a little than move on to a real, American game. They leave most of that oddball stuff in Japan for a reason. But, I just watched a movie of this game that I believed was released in 2003 called Katamari Damashii. I have no idea what it means, but if I had to guess it would be Super Happy Ball of Sticky Goodness.

From what I am able to gather from the video, it appear you control a squat little man who pushes a ball around a city. While he moves it around, it somehow makes everything stick to it. The more you push it around, the larger it gets. Eventually, if you can make the ball grow big enough, you can pick up larger objects like buildings and people, who seem none too happy about this.

I guess that's it. It doesn't seem like there is much to do other than make your mass of objects grow bigger and bigger. But it looks so fun I really, really want it. I figure the game is some thing of a scavenger hunt, where you have to collect 5 people, 7 park benches, and a stick of gum before you can move on to the next level.

The best part is there's a multiplayer mode. The video only showed 2 people playing so I assume it doesn't go up to 4 players, and only about 3 seconds worth of footage, but I assume it's pretty great as well. You can slam your giant ball into your friend and, um, something great happens I'm sure. I think the perfect solution to all of life's problems is to have 989 stop making games completely and just port wacky stuff like this over.

Check out the movie here. It's long but so worth it.


Addition by Nick: I just wanted to link to a couple of screenshots as well, because this game needs to be seen even if you're too damn lazy to watch the video. Also, apparently the name translates roughly to "The Massive Spirit."





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]