Tuesday, May 18, 2004

It's probably my favorite animal

So, apparently I haven't updated in a couple of days. My head is still kind of reeling from following all the E3 coverage elsewhere (I can just imagine what it must be like to be there...wait, no I can't), and from watching videos of pretty much every game that was shown. I decided against doing a wrap-up, since I had already written a good 10,000 words on the subject during the show. I'll just say now that I'll be buying Halo 2, Fable, GTA: San Andreas, Final Fantasy XII, MGS3, and R&C:UYA on the day they're released, and probably another ten or twenty other games within that time. And while both look amazing, I'm still not sold on either the PSP or the DS. Outside of the Big 3, Capcom gets best showing, while Ubisoft gets the most disappointing (in relation to what went down over there last year). So, there you have it. Once again, if you want me to further discuss anything shown at E3, let me know. Otherwise, that's it for E3 hogging my posts.

So, big news today. Sammy (Guilty Gear, Seven Samurai 20XX) apparently decided to finally prove all the rumors right by outright buying Sega (Typing of the Dead, Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf). Well, it's being called a merger, but with Sammy having a 95% stake in the resulting holdings company, I think it's closer to a complete takeover if anything. The biggest changes can only be good for Sega, and good for us. Sega will be integrating it's various bits and pieces (Sonic Team, Smilebit, Amusement Vision, etc) back into itself, which I think will help the quality of their games stay more consistent (consistently good, that is). No more shitty trucking games. Also, I think Sammy is planning to steer Sega away from their newfound commitment in arcade games, an obviously thriving industry.

In other more shocking, breaking news, the videogame industry and movie industry are working together more than ever. Actually, the article is pretty decent, especially for an outsider to get acquainted with said relationship. The only thing I have to say is: An ER game? They're either grossly misinformed, or I am. What are you going to do, hit on Luka in a rhythm-based mini-game? Take control of Anthony Edwards in an epic battle over time and space to avoid the dreaded 'cancer of the brain'? Throw helicopters off of hospital roofs as a scantily-clad Maura Tierney? Don't Touch the Edges Operation Game (uses both analog sticks)? I mean, c'mon, can this game get any more awesome?

In more real news, the film rights to GTA have finally been picked up, and Michael DeLuca is the culprit. He's no writer (Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare, Judge Dredd), but he's produced some gems (Dark City, Pleasentville, American History X, Blade II). As I said to Tom, it's more suited for a film adaptation than most videogame movies (see: the upcoming live Pac-Man movie, or the in-production Crazy Taxi film), but as he pointed out to me, it's just a Scarface ripoff (also true). So, we'll see if it actually gets made. All I know is, as long as Uwe Boll isn't behind it, we're somewhat safe. Well, unless it's a comedy. That man is hilarious.

In completely non-videogame-related news, check this shit out. Apparently, a man was planning on fighting hordes of zombies in hand-to-hand combat. At least, that's what I can only assume based on the article.

And, not to flog a previously mentioned horse, but here's a great new trailer for Destroy All Humans! that highlights a lot of great parts that I was discussing a couple of days ago. So watch it, chum....p. Also, watch this trailer for Neo Contra. Running on spinning helicopter blades while fighting = awesomeness.

Finally, see Napoleon Dynamite when it comes out by you. Tom and I are both wearing shirts for it today, so you know it must be good. Either that, or we're dorks. And we're not dorks.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]