Wednesday, April 28, 2004

I'm shocked and appalled

I just headed over to Gamefaqs to check out their new layout. Yes, it is much uglier than their old look, but that is hardly the point of my post.

What I do have a problem with is today's poll question. Gamefaqs has been orchestrating a contest the last month to determine what the greatest game of all time is. Never mind the fact that, by leaving off the greatest game of all time in Super Mario Kart, the list was pointless from the get go. I have still been keeping track of the results, though, to see what the public would vote for. I am deeply saddened by what I found in today's voting.

For some reason, Kingdom Hearts is matched up against Soul Calibur. How Kingdom Hearts even made it into the voting, where only 16 games from each generation are chosen worthy, is completely beyond me. Is this even one of the top 16 RPGs released this generation?

Anyway, it's going up against Soul Caliber, which is the greatest fighting game of all time. I'm not just talking about fighting games released this generation or even 3D fighters. I'm talking about the whole bloody genre. Soul Caliber is as good as fighting games get. And, not only that, but it's the best 2 player game released since before the PlayStation came out.

The game is a battle of pure skill. And, unlike other fighting games, you can actually use your own personal strengths to compete. I suck at fighting games. I have difficulty memorizing massive amounts of moves and my timing on counters is atrocious. I told you, I suck. But, I am competitive in Soul Calibur because the game allows for a defensive strategy. I generally circle around dodging attacks, waiting for my overanxious opponent to make a mistake. The versatile Soul Calibur engine allows for players of all kinds to compete. This is relatively unheard of in fighting games.

Soul Calibur also exhibits perfect balance between the characters. Besides a notable few - namely Rock who sucks at fighting and should just star in his own kart racer - every fighter in the game can hold their own. Some are kind of cheap, like Cervantes and Taki, but a skilled opponent can take them out anyway. This balance is what separate Soul Calibur from other fighting games.

So what is the point of this mini rant about the virtues of Soul Calibur? For some reason, the morons (I'm being nice with my words here) at Gamefaqs have voted Kingdom Hearts over Soul Calibur. As of this post the total vote is:

Soul Calibur - - 40326
Kingdom Hearts - - 41335

That Soul Calibur isn't winning this thing 90% - 10% is a travesty. Kingdom Hearts for Christ's sake. Kingdom Hearts! I think I'm going to be sick.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]