Friday, April 16, 2004

Going Commando

I hate to say it, but I've put a hold on playing Beyond Good & Evil. I'm about three quarters through the game, according to my little brother, but I need a break. Story is all well and good in games. In fact, I think most games could use a lot more (unlike my story-hating, story-skipping chum Toms). How it's handled is a very delicate issue though. Or, it can be. There are games like Metal Gear Solid, where the story is integral to the game, and one of the best parts of it, but you can't escape it. You spend hours talking on your Codec and have philosophical exchanges with your enemies before and while you fight them. I dig that kind of thing, but it's understandably a point of friction for a lot of people. Then there's games like Mario, where a rough plot is introduced (save the all-archetypical princess), and isn't mentioned again until the ending. Which is also fine. I don't think I'd want to know Bowser's reasons for capturing Peach. I mean, he's a dinosaur, that gives him reason enough.

So, back on topic. Beyond Good & Evil has an amazing story. And amazing characters and locations and such. Probably one of the best I've ever played. But, they are almost too amazing for there own good. The world and situations are so immersive and overbearing that it's an investment every time you sit down to play, if you want to get the most out of it. You have to catch back up with the plot, remind yourself of what's going on, and re-invest yourself in the characters and their plights and the world's plights. And it's not like an RPG, where it's all innate. It's more of a platforming/stealth adventure game, and a good story helps distinguish it from the masses. It's totally worth it if you can play for a couple hours at a time, but recently I haven't had that luxury, so I've been avoiding it. So, while I might pick it up and beat it the next full spare day I get, I'm officially on a temporary break for now.

So what did I start playing today to pick up the slack? Well, I'm glad you humored me. Ratchet and Clank 2, which I've had for a while now but haven't wanted to touch until I was ready. And now I'm ready. And my god, is it platforming gold. The sheer size and art design is insane. I'm sure I'll be writing about it plenty. And the added RPG elements kick ass. The more you use a gun, the more often it will be upgraded, etc. My Gravity Bomb already turned into a Mini-Nuke, and I'm only an hour or two in. Sweet.

And you know what's tonight? You're damn right you know what's tonight. Kill motherfucking Bill motherfucking Volume 2. Money.

Oh, and this is sweet.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]