Monday, February 09, 2004

I should talk about video games sometime...

Though it may not seem like it, I actually do play video games. A lot actually. I really, really wanted to play some Disgaea. I don't know anything about the game except it's supposed to be really cool and take forever to play. But mean ol' Nick won't let me borrow the game, so I had to turn to something else: Final Fantasy 8. A game, conveniently enough, given to me by Nick about 9 months ago. Yay for not returning games!

This is my first time actually playing it, though, and after about 3 hours I feel I should give some impressions. First off, what's the deal with the graphics? I know, it's PSX, they are supposed to be bad. But the art in this game, it's really ugly. All the characters are tall and have normal, small heads. That's not what I want in a video game. Whatever happened to good old Cloud with his giant head and spikey hair. That's the kind of character I can like. Not this lame ass "Tom." What's his deal anyway? Every Square game make the main character either be a mute (Chrono Trigger...) or an anti social killing machine. Why is this guy so grumpy all the time?

Also, what's the deal with that 5 minute dance scene? I sit down to enjoy a manly game of Final Fantasy, when all of a sudden my main character is ball room dancing. I like dancing as much as the next guy (as long as that guy doesn't like to dance) but a 5 minute scene? And my roommate had to come in right then and deliver some cruel jokes that I had no defense. Stupid Square.

The game is pretty fun, but nothing mind blowing. I'm not sure I like this battle system much. I have these Guardian Forces, just like in FF7, but now they take damage? What's the deal with that? Aren't they supposed to be super strong or something? Maybe even omnipotent? And why, if they are so strong, yet mortal, do they allow themselves to be carried by these weak ass humans? Wouldn't they just kick my ass and rule the world? I'm quite confused.

Also, they took away the normal magic system. Now I have to "draw" magic from every creature, which means all of the characters have the same magic attacks. No long do I designate one guy for curing and another for water related attacks (Blizzard... Lightning maybe?). Now all of them have every type of magic.

Let's see, what else is there to complain about... Oh yeah, the card game. I don't like it. Mostly because I'm no good at it.. I did win a mog earlier, looks like a cute cat, but that's about it. I lost most of my cool cards. I just want to attack diagonal one time, just to know what if feels like.

I guess that's about it. I am only 3 hours into the game. I'm about to meet that hot instructor by the training center. I wonder what's going to happen. Baw Chica Bawm Bawm.

Oh yeah, I forgot to yell at Nick. Hey man, what's with all the Gamespot plugs? You whoring out to the man already? I appreciate that it's not IGN, but give some love to those other sites, eh?

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]